The Museum Coordinator is a part-time position responsible for managing the museum’s operations: facilities, collections, volunteers, tours, marketing, membership, events, facility rentals, and fundraising activities. This position reports to the Person County Museum of History Board of Directors. Person County Museum of History is a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Good interpersonal skills; excellent relationship management and public outreach skills
- Time management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Flexibility to manage a wide variety of tasks
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Ability to work cooperatively, diplomatically, and effectively with board members, volunteers, and in community relations and outreach capacities
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot situations
- Maintain confidentiality related to the area of work
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite is required
- PLUS, but not required – 1) Experience with facility management and event planning, 2) recruiting and managing volunteers, 3) database maintenance and grant writing, 4) marketing a business or other professional organization, 5) providing tours and educational activities for visitors, 6) demonstrated interest in history, 7) proficiency with financial management and reporting, 8) knowledge of organizational standards and best practices
- REQUIRED: Minimum of a two-year associate degree or high school diploma with relevant experience. WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sustained posture in a seated position and prolonged periods of typing
- Ability to lift 25 pounds for moving of tables/chairs for event setup, loading/unloading vehicles, etc.
- Position requires some Saturday hours, the flexibility to work weekend events (as needed) and occasional evening meetings/functions.
- Must have a reliable mode of transportation to assist with errands related to the position HOURS AND COMPENSATION
- Museum advertised public hours: Thursday/Friday/Saturday 10am to 4pm or by appointment.
- Position is approximately 22 hours per week at an hourly rate of $16.00. Default schedule to be coordinated with hiring committee.
OVERVIEW OF WORK RELATED TO MUSEUM OPERATIONS
- Ensure the museum campus is open during regular/advertised visiting hours by working with docents to create volunteer schedules. Oversee daily opening and closing procedures.
- Streamline processes. Identify ways volunteers/docents/board members can assist with operations on a regular basis outside of giving tours.
- Recruit docents and volunteers; maintain contact information electronically, create volunteer schedules, distribute assignments, provide guidance/coaching/training, communicate museum priorities/initiatives.
- Foster an environment that emphasizes customer service toward visitors.
- Coordinate outreach to increase group visits/tours; work with volunteers to tailor visits to the audience, as requested. Coordinator serves as default tour guide when no docents/volunteers are available.
- Oversee operational needs of year-round and temporary exhibition programs.
- Develop/maintain electronic records and oversee documentation/care of permanent collections, artifacts, object donations, and items on-loan to include ownership, object location, condition information, photographs, etc.
- In conjunction with the Exhibits Committee, develop and implement exhibition installations and regular cleaning/updates/modifications to permanent collections and all materials that accompany them (training materials for docents, display text, etc.)
- Check museum facilities weekly. Ensure all areas of campus are properly cleaned and organized (including storage). Coordinate repairs as needed.
- Manage the museum’s gift shop; provide inventory oversight; financial management and documentation
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with members/donors/sponsors/community partners
- In conjunction with the Finance Committee, develop the annual budget and present to the board for approval no later than May
- Coordinate events – planning, coordination, and execution for fundraisers, receptions, etc.
- In conjunction with the Membership Committee – develop, coordinate, and implement membership campaigns including direct mail, email, sponsorship program, social media, etc.
- Develop and coordinate facilities rental program
- Engage and mobilize volunteers to participate in museum fundraising events and projects
- Oversee development of all marketing and promotional materials related to fundraising and membership.
- Manage print advertising & monthly newspaper article; manage social media platforms; manage email campaigns. Provide guidance and oversight of contracted marketing agency.
- Identify and pursue new avenues of grants/funding
- Develop, facilitate, and carry out the processes necessary for tracking/recording/depositing/acknowledging all FUNDS derived from membership, endowments, major gifts, grants, donations, sponsorships, gifts (including in-kind and deed), pledges, and/or other campaigns, projects, or special events that produce revenue from public and private sources etc. made to the museum.
- Coordinate and maintain accurate electronic files to track all donors, sponsors, members, and supporters of campaigns/events (current, past, and prospective).
- Attend & make preparations for all monthly Museum Board meetings; committee meetings as able
- Provide brief updates regarding weekly activities to board via email
- Provide monthly updates to the board regarding tasks completed, status of projects, etc.
- Perform any other work or responsibilities incidental to the above duties
HOW TO APPLY
Provide a cover letter (explaining interest in the position and how you meet position qualifications) and your resume (including at least three professional references). Applications can be mailed, emailed, or dropped off (see below) and must be received by September 20, 2019.
Person County Museum of History
Attn: Hiring Committee
309 North Main Street / P.O. Box 1792
Roxboro, NC 27573